Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » JInitiator (Oracle Forms [32 bit] 10.1.2.3.0)
JInitiator [message #592556] Fri, 09 August 2013 11:02 Go to next message
TX_developer
Hi,

I have a local copy of Oracle Forms Developer. I am able to create, modify, and compile forms, but am unable to run them. When I try to run a form I get the following message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2sz01bwydv27ty/JInitiator.jpg

I contacted our HelpDesk and was told by three different techs that I need JInitiator but they can't tell me which version. Below is a list of all the versions available. Does anybody know which one I might need or how to figure out which one I need?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59e9t9lhc1fi4cp/JInitiatorV.jpg

Thank you,
~k

Re: JInitiator [message #592560 is a reply to message #592556] Fri, 09 August 2013 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The correct version of Jinitiator has been downloaded to your PC, so give the installer your Windows username/password and let it install.
Alternatively, disable UAC.
Re: JInitiator [message #592564 is a reply to message #592560] Fri, 09 August 2013 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Not according to the HelpDesk staff. Also, I do not have an administrator password for my PC. Just the way this company does it.
Re: JInitiator [message #592565 is a reply to message #592564] Fri, 09 August 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you don't want to believe an answer, even when it is correct, why ask the question?

And anyway, your Helpdesk people have told you exactly what I told you: install the Jinitiator.
Re: JInitiator [message #592576 is a reply to message #592565] Fri, 09 August 2013 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Hi John,

What they told me is that I need to request Jinitiator from the software shelf. The available versions are listed in the second link in my original post. When I asked them which version, they could not tell me, but according to them, it has not been downloaded to my PC yet. I provided my computer name and after checking they said I do not have it on my PC and it needs to be requested first.

In other words...I am stuck. It's not that I don't believe you, but I can't go anywhere from here basically. I don't have an administrator password and the HelpDesk claims I don't have Jinitiator and need to request it first. I have spoken to 3 different techs, one of them spoke to his supervisor, and I have gotten the same answer from all of them.

~k

P.S. I had the same problem with another program and it too had to be requested from the software shelf first.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 August 2013 13:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JInitiator [message #592577 is a reply to message #592576] Fri, 09 August 2013 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I'll try one more time. The Jinitiator has been downloaded already. It happens automatically. For heavens sake, man, you posted a screen shot of Windows objecting to the installation running. So once again, give it your Windows username and password, and let it install itself.
Re: JInitiator [message #592587 is a reply to message #592577] Fri, 09 August 2013 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Maybe I'm wrong, but - from my point of view, all you need to run is OC4J instance (you'll find it in the same "Start" folder as Forms Developer). Having it started, you'll be able to run your forms, locally, on your own PC.

When forms are deployed on the application server, that's different - people will need to use Jinitiator and download it. As far as I can tell, they'll have to do that under administrative rights (so maybe they won't be able to do that alone, but with assistance of your IT staff).
Re: JInitiator [message #592596 is a reply to message #592577] Fri, 09 August 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
John Watson wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 13:18
I'll try one more time. The Jinitiator has been downloaded already. It happens automatically. For heavens sake, man, you posted a screen shot of Windows objecting to the installation running. So once again, give it your Windows username and password, and let it install itself.

Entering my Windows username/password is obviously the first thing I tried! As I mentioned in my post above, I do not have administrator rights on my PC. Only level 2 team HelpDesk staff have administrator rights and they will not provide a password unless I request JInitiator from the internal software shelf and the request gets completed by them. If it was as easy as entering my username/password I would not be here!
Re: JInitiator [message #592598 is a reply to message #592587] Fri, 09 August 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 14:00
Maybe I'm wrong, but - from my point of view, all you need to run is OC4J instance (you'll find it in the same "Start" folder as Forms Developer). Having it started, you'll be able to run your forms, locally, on your own PC.

When forms are deployed on the application server, that's different - people will need to use Jinitiator and download it. As far as I can tell, they'll have to do that under administrative rights (so maybe they won't be able to do that alone, but with assistance of your IT staff).

Thanks Littlefoot - the OC4J instance is running.
Re: JInitiator [message #592603 is a reply to message #592598] Fri, 09 August 2013 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
[quote title=TX_developer wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 15:48]Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 14:00

Thanks Littlefoot - the OC4J instance is running.

And are you able to run the forms now? I don't think so, because if OC4J instance is not running, your error message will be something like "HTTP listener is not running..." instead of asking to install Jinitiator, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

So to follow up on Littlefoot's question, are you trying to run a form that has been deployed to an application server, or are you just hitting the "Run Form" button in Forms Developer?
Re: JInitiator [message #592604 is a reply to message #592603] Fri, 09 August 2013 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Using Run Forms.
Re: JInitiator [message #592797 is a reply to message #592604] Mon, 12 August 2013 07:31 Go to previous message
wency

Joy is correct, OC4J will give different error. Ask the tech support to log in as admin when you run the form if you don't have the privilege.
Previous Topic: File is not saving in local drive when I run thru AS
Next Topic: How to pass menu parameters in forms 10g.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 10:21:03 CDT 2024