SQL Developer is free graphical IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for developing SQL and PL/SQL code. The product is aimed at Oracle DBA's and developers - and should generally not be given to end users. It also provides basic connectivity to MySQL, SQL Server and Access databases, mostly for the purposes of data migrations.
SQL Developer was formerly dubbed Project Raptor. It is based on/ derived from Oracle's JDeveloper IDE. First release was in 2006.
Version 1.2 was released on 7 June 2007. This version runs on JDK 5.0 or 6.0.
Version 1.1.3 ships with Oracle 11g (all database editions) - the intention is that it becomes an adjunct to SQL*Plus.
SQL Developer 2.1 was released on 15th December 2009.
SQL Developer is provided free of charge and can be downloaded from Oracle TechNet.
SQL Developer is written in Java, and is therefore available for a wide range of platforms, including Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
SQL Developer aims to compete against commercial products like TOAD from Quest Software, dbForge Studio for Oracle from Devart and PL/SQL Developer from Allround Automations. It is a relatively recent entrant into the market and is not as full-featured as the commercial products.
Some of the features of SQL Developer are:
- Browse database objects
- Run SQL statements and SQL scripts
- Edit and debug PL/SQL statements
- Run standard and customized reports
- Extract DDL for database objects
- Migrate third party database schemas to Oracle (for SQL Server, Microsoft Access and MySQL)
- Create reports (tabular, master-detail, charts, etc)
- Oracle's SQL Developer Home Page (more info and download link)
- Local and Remote Debugging with Oracle SQL Developer (Oracle Magazine article)